Celebrating John Welch’s Contributions to Book of Mormon Scholarship with an Apostle


 

On August 15, 2021, I had the remarkable opportunity as an employee for Book of Mormon Central to aid in a special fireside for John W. Welch (who today is entering the Missionary Training Center with his wife), with Elder D. Todd Christofferson as a special guest speaker. Other General Authorities (such as Elder Kevin W. Pearson, whom I had previously met when he visited my Mission) were also in attendance.

It had been about two and a half years since the last time I was in the same room as an Apostle (I briefly described some of that experience here), shortly before I returned home from my Mission. In fact, one piece (an organ and piano duet titled “Book of Mormon Impressions”) struck near and dear to my heart in light of my Mission (which had already been on my mind for the past few weeks). Every Zone Conference, we would sing one verse of “Called to Serve” followed by a verse of “We’ll Bring the World His Truth” (only stating that “we are now the Lord’s missionaries” instead of “will be”). The piece played was a medley of many different pieces, and as the organ pipes rang I could almost hear a couple hundred missionaries in my head again, singing for a visiting General Authority, willing to lay everything we had on the altar of sacrifice for the Lord.

The music nearly drove me to tears – in fact, I am surprised I was able to hold them back at all. (Our black Book of Mormon Central nametags didn’t help me not want to shed a few tears either, or the fact that I have been mistaken as a missionary twice now while wearing it.)

In poetic fashion, the event was structured as a beautiful chiasmus. John Welch spoke, followed by his wife, followed by Sister Christofferson and finally Elder Christofferson with organ music by Jim Welch and some piano or vocal accompanists throughout.

I had a wonderful time the past two years getting to know Jack and learn from him. I was one of the compilers and editors for the monumental commentary John W. Welch Notes: Come Follow Me prepared for the 2020 Come, Follow Me lesson plan. When I started volunteering for Book of Mormon Central, that was my first assignment, even. I spent hours studying the notes taken from Jack’s scripture study class that he taught to his stake and learned a great deal about the Book of Mormon in the process.

I was especially touched to learn that Sister Christofferson often listens to the Book of Mormon Central podcast channel, who described it as a way she can “enhance her study of the scriptures.” While the work I do doesn’t necessarily end up on the podcast, I am thankful for my job that allows me to be in a position to help others come to Christ.

Elder Christofferson spoke about the great contributions his friend Jack had made to Book of Mormon scholarship before the closing music. Listening to the voice of an Apostle in person is always a moving experience. The words of the Lord sound clearly when they speak.

I am also grateful to my Uncle Harold for his assistance in this Fireside – his is an example of selfless service toward God in all times and in all places. I have learned a lot about consecration from him and his attitude towards serving others – a law that I have come to love the second I went through the Temple for the first time, as if a light switch flipped in my soul. And of course, my Aunt Kathleen was just as helpful in the event, who likewise serves cheerfully and without thought for reward. So, I hope they can forgive me for thanking them in such a public manner.

Of course, a lot of planning goes in to the execution of such a large event, for which Kirk Magelby and the rest of the Book of Mormon Central staff should be thanked as well. (And I don’t mean myself – my contributions were very minimal compared to everyone else’s and I am thankful I was even allowed to help to the extent that I was.)

As a final note of gratitude, I believe that Jack has forever changed the field of Book of Mormon studies in at least three ways:

  • His discovery of chiasmus in the Book of Mormon text, a writing pattern common in the ancient Near East and parts of ancient America,
  • His background as a lawyer towards the Book of Mormon to show how ancient Israelite law was applied in the ancient Nephite record,
  • And how the Sermon at the Temple in 3 Nephi and the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew are best understood as Temple ascent texts.

He has been cited in depth on all of these counts, often by non-Latter-day Saint scholars as well. His contributions of course exceed just these three, but there is no denying the effect these contributions have had and will yet have going into the future.

Until he returns from his mission, I will pray for the Welches success as Book of Mormon Central continues to defend the Book of Mormon for the authentic and ancient record that it is.

Comments